Minutes of Committee meeting 17th June 2021 on Zoom

Present: Kathy Head (Chairman), Catherine Bacon (Secretary), Derek Phoenix (Treasurer) Sue Loder Vagg (Minutes), Ana Collingridge, John Davies


1. Welcome by Kathy; Apologies: Mary


2. Minutes of the last meeting read and approved.


3. Matters arising – not coming up later on Agenda:

Blacknell Lane: Done what we can - tidied and planter in situ

Beer Seminar: Cancelled. Money can be repaid or carried over to another event.


4. Correspondence:

SWIB Judges: 10.30 arrival expected. Mini bus or car transport tbd nearer the time

Email from Town Hall re Watering: Lewis experienced problems but now appears to be ok and he waters on Monday and Thursday.

Discussion on churchyard: Hope grass will be cut; only have two blue wilding hearts


5. Treasurer’s Report: Derek reports Balance on 17th June is £2450.94. Future Balance is £2550.94

Receipts, payments and invoices discussed. Catherine mentions portfolio printing problems.


6. Plants & Planting:

Brackets - Thanks to Richard & April Chant, Richard Hall, Doug Harrison and Jonathan Stokes

Watering - Troughs at Costa can be added to Tuesday work. Kathy to enquire whether any Falkland Square businesses can take it on.

Three bikes in situ so far, no wheelbarrows this year: Catherine has another bike, maybe put outside old Take a Peek but difficult to water. Sue offers to water barrows if planted. Catherine to discuss with Mary.


7. Cemetery - Update from John: 13 out of 14 beds completed, watering organized, wildflowers coming up already, meeting to discuss costs and way forward being organized with Burial Committee, Catherine and Kathy also to attend.


8. Work days – Tuesdays: Going well, maybe include some watering.


9. Portfolio: Catherine has put much work into this but has been frustrated by misbehaving pc. Therefore unable to get it proofread but it’s now at printers to avoid deadline being missed. Awaiting addresses of judges then will send with covering letter.


10. Format for judging day (14th July) including lunch: First idea for Itinerary: Town Square (photo opportunity), Severalls, Barn Street, Lyewater, Church (refreshment), Cemetery, Pillbox, Bincombe Beeches, George Shopping Centre, Falkland Square, Market Street, South Street, Henhayes for picnic

Inner Wheel offered to cater, but Sue suggested café at station. She will investigate costs etc for 16 boxes.

Kathy to investigate using Council’s gazebos. Scout hut also suggested. Kathy to check mini bus availability, Catherine to investigate use of Stokes car park.

Ana mentioned litter, weeds, possible roadworks etc, Kathy said no roadworks planned, all agreed last minute tidy and litter pick necessary.

Ana to publicize judges’ route on Headlines & Topics plus plea for tidy up.

Catherine to inform Laura at Town Hall of route.


11. Churchyard – Wilder Churches – survey late July: No date yet. Kathy to see if church could be opened on day of judging.


12. Newsletter, Website & Instagram: Sue gave update on distribution of May/June newsletter and plan for extra June/July edition to buoy up competitions and tidy up before judging day. Update on website refresh, and Instagram success, will get signup button on website remove as doesn’t work.


13.Garden Competition – encourage entries: Catherine says Rosemary Prince has circulated gardens comp info to members of Garden Club. Publicity on facebook, entry forms in LIC


14. Business window competition – encourage entries: Kathy has been in touch with a business group. Says Richard at Oscars has shield. Catherine has enlisted Sylvia Hanks and Beverley Wood as judges, Sue to accompany. Sue also to investigate station café for judging day lunch on July 13th.


15.. AOB: LIC window available for us for two weeks. Discussion on what to include: suggestions were portfolio, last year’s certificates, Jeff Hutson’s photos, photos from Orchard Nursing Home, pot plant & hanging basket (on judging day). Kathy has table; she hopes we can plan 2022 activity with more nursing homes in Autumn this year.

Derek informs us the Rotary Stone has been refreshed.


Meeting closed.


Date of next meeting 2nd July 2021 6.30pm on Zoom



5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Minutes of Committee meeting 2nd July 2021 on Zoom

Present: Kathy Head (Chairman), Catherine Bacon (Secretary), Derek Phoenix (Treasurer), Sue LoderVagg (Minutes), Mary Cooper, Ana Collingridge, John Davies 1. Welcome by Kathy; Apologies: None 2. Minu