Minutes of Committee meeting 27th August 2020 7pm on Zoom


All present: Kathy Head (Chairman), Catherine Bacon (Secretary), Derek Phoenix (Treasurer), Mary Cooper, Sue Loder Vagg, Sue Ayers, John Davies, Ana Collingridge.

Welcome by Kathy

Minutes of the last meeting read and approved.

Matters arising

Kathy Crouch talk on re-wilding Crewkerne, how did it go? Kathy said lots had registered but several had not logged in on the night but about 15 attended which was ok. Sue A. and Mary thought that it had gone well although Kathy was a bit flummoxed by her troubles with the computer at the beginning.

Window display in LIC – It was agreed that Kathy and Catherine would have a chat with Diane in the LIC about dates and requirements. Mary suggested a powerpoint of the photos we have used on facebook for the screen.

Bikes and planters have been repainted and the hearts look great now Sue has painted bees etc on them.

Veronica has tendered her resignation from the committee, she is happy to carry on with the West Street bed for which we are very grateful.

Catherine has received a SWIB newsletter and RHS certificates are going to be issued for various categories next month. We can submit photos of the churchyard, pill box, station, but our facebook page and website will give the judges a great representation of what we have been doing.

Catherine has received an email from Amberol asking if we wish to order anything.

Catherine has been corresponding with Steve Fox (SSDC nursery) re. bulbs, they will not be issuing any this year.

Treasurers report

Derek reports that the balance today is £3288.37.

Sue says she has recruited 2 more members @£10 each. She is having problems with getting PayPal set up due to lack of customer service at PayPal. Kathy and Derek to sort out getting a card reader to access the bank account.

Mary requested that another member of the committee should take over writing up the minutes. Ana was suggested as she takes notes, it was agreed that she would think about doing it after the next meeting. Sue L-V agreed to take them at the September meeting.

Catherine reports that the churchyard wild areas have been cut by Tom with an allen scythe but while it was raining! Catherine, Sue A, Mary and Ben bagged up the grass and it was removed by Jason and Lewis from the churchyard the following day. Suggest to sow yellow rattle fresh in September in those areas, also wild flower plugs and bulbs, we have £100 from the Wedding Fair for bulbs. Mary will come up with a budget for this project.

Next work meets are Tuesday 15th and 29th Sept. Mary will organise 15th as Catherine will be away. Sue A is happy to work on Rose Lane regularly. Sue T is working in North St/ Broadshard.

It was unanimously decided that we will remove the Phlomis from the Rotary stone bed. Church St needs to be weeded next.

Autumn planting of planters will need to be done for a winter display. Catherine has a lot of mixed daff and tulips, probably best put in Rotary bed.

Hyacinth bulbs will be ordered by Mary, agreed to keep the same amount as last year i.e. 250 pots, 750 bulbs, potting up on 29th September, 10am at Lower Severalls. Sue A, Sue LV, Mary and Catherine.

Derek reports that the Rotary shop is being planned and Rotary would be grateful for help with some of the shifts. We can also sell them at the November Farmers Market, Ana to contact Hannah about a CIB stall 21st Nov.

Kathy says that the lighting up will be happening in a low key way this year.

Scarecrow competition, Friday 4th 2pm Catherine’s. John has a cycle helmet and some hi vis, everyone asked to bring along some clothes.

AGM to be on 26th November. Only 30 people can attend, Kathy will ask Town Council if we can hold in the Town Hall.

Sue A says we have been offered a new bed by Margaret Barton, we would like to take this on and plant with perennials.

We need to have a recruitment drive to get new working helpers. Catherine says she thinks it would be a good idea to get people to maintain and take responsibility for specific areas, near their homes. Mary suggested a leaflet drop around the town estates.

Catherine said that Jason had asked her if we would like to take on the herbaceous beds at the cemetery. John said perhaps he and his wife would be able to help. We need to ask Town Council if there is a budget for them.

Barn St proposed planting, we will not be watering or pruning the trees.

John thanked Kathy for the support from the Council for the Severalls Memorial garden. John requested help with paying for bedding plants for the Pill box square, approved.

Crewkerne Flyer, Sue LV will write a resume for it, 1 page and 2 photos required.

Applying for grants?

Meeting closed.

Date of next meeting 24th September.


4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

E hello@crewkerneinbloom.org

T 01460 72665

© Crewkerne In Bloom 2020

Join Our Mailing List.

And never miss an update!

Website Design & Build Sponsored By Sue Ayres

Photography Bincombe Beeches/Crewkerne Landscapes © 2020 Sue Ayres

  • http://www.crewkerneinbloom.org/
  • https://www.instagram.com