Minutes of Committee meeting 2nd July 2021 on Zoom

Updated: Dec 4, 2021


Present: Kathy Head (Chairman), Catherine Bacon (Secretary), Derek Phoenix (Treasurer), Sue LoderVagg (Minutes), Mary Cooper, Ana Collingridge, John Davies


1. Welcome by Kathy; Apologies: None


2. Minutes of the last meeting read and approved.


3. Matters arising – not coming up later on Agenda: Mary mentions big planters are dry. LIC window booked for CiB for two weeks starting Monday 5th July. Catherine to print a selection of photos inc IYN and write and print captions. She will contact Gail from FOCS. Mary to request dried arrangement for table from Twigs and Twine for table if she has nothing suitable. Kathy on holiday so gave info on where things can be found in LIC. Lyewater now has bike and barrow.


4. Correspondence: Letter from Helix and to Town Council re complaints about area under beech tree by toilets having nettles and appearing untidy. Wilding sign disappeared so no-one realizes this area being left though watched. This to be explained and strimming proposed for end July/August.


5. Treasurer’s Report: Derek reports Balance on 2nd July is £2611.37. Future Balance is £2809.37

Receipts due, methods of payment and invoices discussed.


6. Plans for Judging Day: Catherine spoken to one of judges. Both will be travelling together by car from Cornwall. Space reserved at Stokes. No handshaking. Will arrive at Town Hall for 10.30, welcome; follow Kathy and Catherine in own car and on foot; judges will visit station independently in afternoon.

· Final tidy up: Very important - litter, deadheading, sprucing. Involve as many as possible. Freshen up litter bins, ensure busy George Precinct and Falkland Square areas on judges’ pedestrian route look their best. Encourage residents and business to put out baskets, pots etc for the day. Kathy to see if Lucy Singleton has pom poms for additional decoration. Maybe Veronica has some too?

· Route: Still being fine tuned but taking in town centre, Church and IYN groups. Volunteers on hand at each. Ana to take photos en route, travelling with Kathy and Catherine. They will have hands-free phone connection. Following Ana’s suggestion, appearance of musicians and crafters arranged at Barn Street.

· Mini bus: Not needed

· Welcoming the judges: At Town Hall. Kathy to give welcome, Robin not available, Council Officers to serve tea/coffee, no other special activity.

· Lunch: Sue organizing 24 picnic boxes with @Sues for Henhayes lunch est 1.30pm. Volunteers and IYN representatives invited. Catherine to investigate local fruit juices for stop at Church and lunch.

· Additionally: Catherine to organize certificates for children’s pot plant competition and for window display competition. Sue to make preliminary tour of business windows to ensure no outlying ones missed; judges meet at @Sue’s (Station)for 12.30 lunch; Catherine has judging sheets. Back to @Sue’s for tea. These winner(s) announced on Judging Day. Garden competition judged end of month - winner announced at yet to be decided event later in year. Ana asked whether the garden where a committee member was living could be entered. Agreed that was acceptable.


7. Ongoing work for the Summer: Volunteers needed every Tuesday for watering, maintenance and ad hoc work. No major projects planned.

Kathy mentions new window with digital screen in Robert Frith. They are already featuring CIB and have offered to show two other logos. Kathy to send info to Catherine & Mary for possible participation by Mary and CB nursery.

John and his volunteers thanked for their enthusiastic work at Cemetery. The Burial Board has agreed for them

to take on extra beds.


Meeting closed.


Date of next meeting: 22nd July 2021, 7.00pm, hopefully outside at Crooked Swan, otherwise Zoom.




6 views0 comments